February 20, 2011

DC-Heater

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I bought 2 Stiebel Eltron instant water heaters. I passed them to my ID and instructed the electrician to ensure that the wiring is changed accordingly to enable the water heaters to work. However, the electrician did not change the wiring...... although he claimed he did. After the plumber installed the water heaters, one of them couldn't work. Then I called the condo management to take a look instead. They sent 2 electricians and after checking they said that the wiring has not been changed to support the water heaters. In order to change the wiring, the existing 4mm wire needs to be removed and replaced with 6mm and 10mm wires respectively. Even the amperage is not enough. The maximum amperage is 20Amp but the water heaters need 32Amp and 45Amp. Unfortunately, all this changes would require hacking and a lot of work. 

The condo management facilities manager came over to have a look too and she suggested that I purchase the storage tank water heaters as the bathrooms are designed for storage water heaters. She also mentioned that there were 2 cases whereby the owners also installed Stiebel Eltron water heaters without changing the wiring (they were also conned by their electricians!) and what happened was the wires connecting the water heaters melted and power supply tripped.

I've requested for a compensation from my ID because of her electrician's fault. My ID apologized and said she will send me another new electrician to check on all other wiring. I've since ordered another water heater from Bathroom Gallery Seapark PJ - just one unit for the master bathroom to try out first : Creation DC-Heater - horizontal type 40L for RM1500. The DC-heater is a storage tank water heater but consumes very low amounts of electricity. For complete info do check out their website : dc-heater.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!